May 29, 2012
6:30 PM REGULAR MEETING
Mayor Smith called the regular meeting of the Paris City Council to order at 6:30 PM. Rich Kash said the opening prayer. Present on roll call were Commissioners Boyer, Branson, Kemper, and Mayor Smith. Commissioner Hughes was absent.
The Pledge of Allegiance was repeated in unison.
PETITIONS, CORRESPONDENCE, AWARDS
Warren Sperry was present to thank the Paris Police Department for all their support of Mayo Middle School. He commended Chief Littleton and Officer Andy Hutson for their assistance on a recent school trip. He noted sometimes you need to recognize the good.
Commissioner Kemper moved for approval of the Consent Agenda. Commissioner Branson seconded the motion. Included on the consent agenda was the approval of the minutes of the May 14, 2012 regular meeting, bills paid previously $48,048.00, bills to be paid $182,039.57 and salaries $135,260.45. All answered aye on roll call, no nays.
ORDINANCES AND RESOLUTIONS
- ORDINANCE NO. 9 SERIES 2012, Ordinance Amending the Establishment of a Compensation Schedule for the City of Paris, Illinois---Commissioner Kemper introduced and moved to adopt the ordinance, Commissioner Branson seconded the motion. All answered aye on roll call, no nays.
- ORDINANCE NO. 10, SERIES 2012, Ordinance Annexing Property---Commissioner Kemper introduced and moved to adopt the ordinance, Commissioner Boyer seconded the motion. All answered aye on roll call, no nays.
- RESOLUTION of Support and Approval (Paris Metals Products/Lyon Workspace Products)---Commissioner Branson introduced and moved to adopt the resolution, Commissioner Boyer seconded the motion. All answered aye on roll call, no nays.
- Information and discussion regarding Gambling Ordinance. Mayor Smith explained that the Council is proposing to change the current ordinance that prohibits gambling to clarify that gambling is still illegal and to allow the exception created by the Video Gaming Act. Meaning an establishment will need a license from the State of Illinois to have Video Poker Machines. The ordinance will lay over for two weeks and be brought up for a vote at the first meeting in June.
Commissioner Boyer had nothing to report but reminded the public that the Fire Department would be holding their propane burn on Wednesday, May 30 at 6:00PM with the burn starting at 7:00PM. He then had Chief Gates update the audience on the activities that have been going on at the Training Center. Chief Gates reminded everyone that the public is invited to watch the propane burn. He also noted that Lakeland College has been in contact with him regarding Fire classes at the Training Center. The Paris Police Department also utilized the Training Center recently.
- Motion to approve purchase of a V-Box Spreader at the cost of $6,737.89 for the Street Department. Commissioner Branson moved to approve the purchase, Commissioner Boyer seconded the motion. All answered aye on roll call, no nays.
Commissioner Hughes: (absent, covered by Mayor Smith)
- Motion to award bid for Laker Stadium project. Mayor Smith moved to award the bid to Midwest Restoration, Inc. at a final contract price of $105,478.00. Commissioner Branson seconded the motion. All answered aye on roll call, no nays.
- Mayor Smith also wanted to report that there will be a dedication honoring Howard Furnish on Saturday at Laker Stadium.
- Motion to approve Pay Estimate #3 to Grunloh Construction for the EdPlex Rehab in the amount of $65,700.00. Commissioner Kemper moved to approve the pay estimate, Commissioner Branson seconded the motion. All answered aye on roll call, no nays.
Dennis Thiel reported he met with the auditor at the beginning of May and all the City funds are safely in tact.
Paul Ruff had nothing to report.
CITY ATTORNEY’S REPORT
Rich Kash had nothing to report.
At 6:52PM Commissioner Boyer moved to adjourn, Commissioner Kemper seconded the motion. All answered aye on roll call, no nays.