Twin Lakes - Page 2
During an extended drought several years later this first reservoir with a capacity of 200 million gallons, the chief source of Paris’ water supply, became almost dry and a serious water famine threatened. Then it was that another dam was built and additional water impounded in a second reservoir, (which will be referred to later,) to the east of the first reservoir.
Mrs. Amelia Johnson remembers as a child, that she planted many trees in Reservoir Park. The schoolchildren in the late 1800’s, planted trees all over Reservoir Park. Each child placed a glass jar with his name around the roots of the trees. How interesting it would be today to locate some of those glass jars and find out who planted the trees.
The following interesting story about Reservoir Park was published by the Commercial Club of Paris, Illinois, 1903-1904:
“Reservoir Park, comprising the grounds adjoining the city reservoir, one mile north of the city, is without exception, the finest pleasure resort within a radius of one hundred miles. Although open to the public only a few years, it has already become the Mecca of summer pleasure seekers throughout a large section of Illinois and Indiana.
For a place of rest and recreation, it is unrivaled. The lake, covering an area of sixty-six acres (as of 1904) abounds in black bass and other game fish. Bass weighing as much as six pounds have been caught. An average weight of four pounds is altogether common. Row boats are to be had at reasonable rental rate, while a steam boat and a naphtha launch with a combined capacity of 175 passengers ply the lake on all occasions.
The park grounds, encircling the lake, are of ample extent and furnish an ideal place for camping, parties and picnics. They are covered with a natural growth of forest, with trees, which are picturesque in the extreme, being interspersed with romantic glades and glens, hills, and ravines, where ferns and flowers grow wild and refreshing mineral springs flow perpetually.
The park is well supplied with swings and merry-go-rounds, dining halls and dancing pavilion, which are available at all times.
Reservoir Park is reached from the city by the C.V.C. railway, and two wagon roads. A street car line, connecting it with the city, will also be in operation in the near future.
A summer Chautauqua will be held in the park in August, 1904, and annually thereafter, some of the best talent in the country having been already engaged.” That is the end of the Paris Commercial Clubs story."